I heart soundminer.
My general sm workflows:
create an "import" database that you use for tagging sounds with metadata before adding them to your libraries. Quarantining new sounds and manipulating them outside of your massive databases is quicker and cleaner than putting them into your big database and adding metadata there. The reason is because ...
Everything you ever needed to know, right here:
You might not have embedded all of your metadata into your audio files back when you originally imported and tagged them into your first Sound Miner database. The easiest way to check is to open your original DB and select "Show Dirty Records" from the Database menu. That'll show you all files whose metadata has been changed but has not been written back to ...
Have you re-indexed your database? I'll bet this is probably it. This has been an on-going problem when I scan new files in (it's definitely a bug in SMHD/SMHD+ sill present since the beta test period when I reported it - might be a limitation of the database back end being used on this SM product, and thus, not "correctable"). You always need to re-index ...
I know, this is an old post, but in case new user found this, here are some tips every soundminer user should know:
Creating a clearly arranged database structure for your sounds. Create a database for a: all sound currently in use, b: all purchased libraries, c: all your own sounds, d: all production music - find a logic which works for you.
We recommend ...
The trick is to use a random midi notes generator to trig a sampler full of that kind of sounds.
Here is a tuto I made for my reel:
You can use Reaktor instead of Bidule.
I believe there are some plugins that allow you to use a combination of altered pitch, volume and cut to more efficiently lay effects with variance so you don't fall into the trap of repeating the same effect over and over again.
Check out https://www.krotosaudio.com/products/reformer-pro/ and see if that helps.
Found a solution:
I located the ~/Library/Application Support/Soundminer/Spotting folder and replaced all the OLD FX DRIVE PATHS with "NEW DRIVE NAME" with textwrangler on all relevant smpotting.xxx files. My lists with all relevant selections are back!
I use v4 at work and HD at home. For the most, HD has been serviceable for home use but after several years of getting by on HD, I'm planning on upgrading to v4.
While it's all spelled out on their website, these are the items I find most difficult to live without:
1) No stereo-to-mono conversion. For example, on my current project, I'm being asked to spot ...
Using Soundminer v4Pro with PT10 and MBox 3 Pro here and I have no problems using rewire or going out the Core Audio driver (Both of which output through the MBox).
However, from the Help>Soundminer Help menu. A quick search for "rewire" turns up this chunk of useful info from page 16, start here. There are also a number of helpful pictures that I'm not ...
you can use the finder and spotlight to do a lot of databasing.
The idea would be to put your metadata in the spotlight comment window - which spotlight can read in its searches. There are automator scripts out there that can take metadata from spreadsheets and embed them into the spotlight comment fields as a batch process. I'd imagine you can get good ...
although I am a miniminer / soundminer HD user I have been making play lists ( or pull lists for those who remember mtools) in external databases like Foobar PC and bento Mac. I cannot stress enough how much of an improvement playlists are from using the digi workspace and catalogs as the only resource for sourcing and organizing sound assets
Building off of Rene's last tip, you can also pull out the side bar on the right, and then hit Cmd-Opt-2 to bring up a folder building window. Build folders, sub-folders, name them, and then with a folder selected, select a sound file, hit T and then it's tagged. Click the little preferences button, make sure "Build Folder Structure" is checked. Now you can ...