I find that most times studio managers and producers often overlook the technical aspects and feel you out for how easy you are to work with and how you deal with other people. Sure you've got to know how to use the tools of the trade and sure, music composition is extremely important for what we do, but like the others, I'm going to start in at more of a ...
I myself work as a sound-designer and music composer/engineer but I have publishing (Cloud 9) and am also signed to various electronic labels.
You can definitely pursue both if you have the time, inspiration and have
no problems with deadlines!
You can check out my soundcloud if you want but there's not much of the moviescores/gamemusic because of the ...
Songwriting in general is a craft, it takes years to perfect. The good thing is you're trying, everyone has to start somewhere.
You can't think too logically about writing melodies, I think it comes spontaneously and inspirationally from playing an instrument. The best times seem to be when you're noodling around and something just pops out, you think to ...
I have unusual advice for you. The magic is in the bath room!!
60% of my music starts from when I am taking shower and I have to rush out to put down those melodies in MIDI. The other 40% I came up with melodies in front of the DAW but soon struck with chorus or something, then again I can fill that up just by taking a bath.
I found piano and violin the ...
I think they're similar enough to be combined.
Many electronic music artists recognize that what they do and what's called as composition is to them really what so called "sound design" is, because in electronic music one tends to work from a very "first principles" viewpoint anyways. By creating new unbeforeheard sounds and textures.
An NI Kontakt ...
Well, sound design is mainly creative specialist work, although it practically encompasses everything in "sound production" in general (which would make a "sound designer" more of a generalist in the audio field). Thus, to be really competent, you should know at least a bit of everything that goes into making a soundtrack (music composition, music recording, ...
Personally, I wouldn't like to read that kind of forum. Don't get me wrong but I prefer to follow Pros that are skilled in specific area than listen to people who "have some knowledge about this and maybe heard about that". If I have some questions about sound design google always sends me here on SSD, so it's just perfect :)
Oh, I hope it doesn't sound ...
When I saw this question, I immediately thought of some of the ambient music I've listened to.
"Chill Out," by The KLF is full of them, along with samples of Elvis, Tuvan throat singing, and an insane salesman. http://youtu.be/C5TUEv1wf-c
At least one track from Brian Eno's "Ambient 4: On Land" fits this, too. I don't have it at the moment, though, so I'm ...
so it sounds like you are looking for music that combines more traditional field recordings, ambience recordings as opposed to found sound and foley type recordings being used as rhythmic components in music.
off the top of my head i'd add:
Jon Hopkins - Autumn Hill
Jon Hopkins - Small Memory
Richard Skelton - Pariah
and basically his whole album ...
Aphex Twin - On
Max Richter - Memory House
Almost anything by 'Boards of Canada' especially on "The campfire headphase"
Arovane - 'Lilies' and 'Tides' albums
Passage to Nagoya
Have you ever seen any of Diego Stocco's work? It's really amazing what he does. Here's an example
Diego Stocco - Music from Nature from Diego Stocco on Vimeo.
But check out all his other videos which are fantastic and really creative.
Skarik's tips are good, but I would like to add:
Practice and play with your instruments and write music (even short compositions or loops). In synths practice means really exhausting the synth's features so you know what it's composed of and form a sense of its "tonal range", so to speak. While other resources may give you tips about different things that ...
Hi Akachi, welcome to SSD!
This site is more focused on film, computer game and theatre sound design, rather than the 'synth programming' type of sound design. However, there are many in this great community who also dabble in music, and use synths regularly in their work, so you should hopefully still get some good answers!
I myself would point you ...
Besides everything was told, don't forget to be yourself. Because too many people nowadays think about it like of industry, like we work in some accounting department. I hate it so much and it is so stupid.
Possibly the only common rule (and most probably if you want to work in movies) it is Pro Tools. All the rest else is just an attempt to standardize ...