- "Puppies and Sunshine" (defunct) with Otto and George. (RIP)
- The Monday Morning Podcast w/ Bill Burr. Just Burr and a mic. KISS-simple, outstanding.
- "MMM hmmm" w/ Bobbie Doolie celebrity interviews, produced by Phil Hendrie - on standby, may be defunct.
- The Phil Hendrie Show Podcast If you don't know Phil...you need a broadcasting education ASAP.
- "You Know What Duuuude?" w/ Bob Kelly aka YKWD.
- The Joe Rogan Experience - News/Talk/Sports/Debate/Science/Comedy/Conspiracy/great guests ...what more could you ask for? Arbitron would appreciate that this podcast does an ESPECIALLY good job of capturing the "target demo" - Men (18-49).
- "The Uninformed Podcast" w/ Joe DeRosa (on standby - poss. defunct).
- NPR-related casts like "Wait Wait..." and "This American Life"
- Whatever Greg Hughes and Jim Norton decide to do in 2015 when their XM/Sirius contract wraps. Prediction - it will be nothing short of a benchmark (for quality content and sound).
- Video: Nature Hates You, Best of Youtube, TEDTalks and Numberphile
- Honorable mention - "The Black Phillip Podcast," Never aired. See footnote*
w/ the exception of NPR, Phil and Joe, who have real studios to record in...I don't fault the small guys with the small setup. Mic-laptop-Audacity -have something original/informative/entertaining to say AND.....GO! I can tell the diff. I don't think the avg. listener can. -you can skip the sound panels and ProTools to talk about the Federal Reserve to 25 listeners.
I'm a Clear Channel news/talk veteran, a lifetime fan of the talk format and I've seen college radio, local news/talk, syndication and network broadcasting from inside and out. - the above are/were the elite in broad[pod]casting. Those still living AND still on-the-air that is.
Apologies, even though I'm a broadcaster/tech/sound/engineer/software guy...I find metablogs/podcasts ABOUT these topics to be quite bland. Can anyone do informative tech AND make it worth LISTENING TO? If so ill check it out. Credit to Leo Laporte though; he's the best I've heard.
*10. Patrice O'neal (RIP Big Dawg) gave relationship advice, parodying Dr. Phil....sort of...The prototype tested well on XM/Sirius...likely never to be a regular show but the subsequent podcast would've been amazing. For "Relationships-Target Demo" ANYTHING is better than the fake, ripoff, hacky "Leykis 101" yecchh.
ALL Podcasts are better than your local FM "Morning Zoo" because:
- They don't use PrepBurger
- They don't have a PD to slide careless, dishonest "War of the Roses"-like bits or "The Fugitive."-like promotions.
- They are unlikely to use the formulaic and PLAYED OUT RadioVeteran/StuntBoy/Hole combo...(sometimes including SportsGuy!)
- They are equally unlikely to have the Guy/Girl format... "maybe they're married...maybe not?"