(an audio noob here, please explain in detail, I also want to learn:) )

I have a tie clip microphone (excuse me if that it is not the proper word for it, I mean a mic such as here).

I have a PDM-X601-6 mixer and a PV240BT amp (both from power dynamics).

I want to plug in the tie clip microphone to the mixer (which is plugged into the amp). I want to do this wired, instead of with a wireless bodypack.

However I am not sure how to do this? What do I have to buy additionally to make this work?

  • It can be called a tie mic, that's perfectly understandable. In 'pro speak' it's called a lav mic [short for lavalier]
    – Tetsujin
    May 2, 2023 at 18:09

1 Answer 1


You'd need a Røde SC3 adapter to go from TRRS connector (laptop or mobile phone combo headset 1/8" plug) to TRS (laptop or mobile separate microphone input), then a Røde VXLR+ or VXLR Pro adapter to convert the +48V of phantom power on XLR that your mixer provides to +4V of "plugin power" required by the microphone.

Either product has, of course, also alternatives from other manufacturers.

  • Ah, OK, so Røde anticipated this, and made it very slightly cheaper than buying a new mic ;)) Hats off to them for at least making it possible.
    – Tetsujin
    May 4, 2023 at 7:08
  • tbh, I occasionally have the opposite problem - DPA 4060 mic, phantom-powered, which I very occasionally would want to connect to a consumer DSLR. So far, I've just recorded via a separate route to DAW & synced it up later to the onboard camera mic/clapper.
    – Tetsujin
    May 4, 2023 at 7:11
  • (excuse me for the late response, forgot that I asked the question here as well) Thank for the answer, the Røde VXLR+ is exactly what I searched for. I believe that will work in this case:)
    – Ömer
    Jul 3, 2023 at 10:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.