When I asked a question here where I also described my setup, there were two comments that suggested that there was something wrong with my setup. Which is like this: Eventide Space (reverb) and BOSS DD-500 (delay) guitar pedals connected to outputs and inputs of the RME Fireface UCX II sound card. And to me everything seems to be working fine. I have made this setup because there is a video at RMEs youtube channel which shows this kind of arrangement and to me it seemed like a good solution (to get all my guitar pedals in easy use). Here's the video:
Now I would like to use the same technique and connect my other guitar pedals in a similar way to the Behringer ADA8200 sound interface which is connected to the UCX II with Adat / Toslink. So I would connect the ADA8200 XLR output to a guitar pedals input (with unbalanced XLR to TS cable) and then guitar pedals output back to ADA8200s input. I haven't done this yet because the comments here got me a little worried... better safe than sorry...
So, my my concerns are:
1. Can I damage a guitar pedal with this kind of arrangement?
2. What's wrong with this setup? (I was told here nobody would recommend this kind of setup)
3. How would you recommend me to change this so it would be more correctly and professionally put together?
--- EDIT: ---
I have currently connected the setup as follows:
BOSS DD-500 delay:
- RME Fireface UCX II sound card OUTPUTS 3 and 4 ---> INPUTS A and B of BOSS DD-500 delay
- BOSS DD-500 delay OUTPUTS A and B ---> INPUTS 5 and 6 of the UCX II sound card
Eventide SPACE reverb:
- RME Fireface UCX II sound card OUTPUTS 5 and 6 ---> INPUTS 1 and 2 of Eventide SPACE reverb
- Eventide SPACE reverb OUTPUTS 1 and 2 ---> INPUTS 7 and 8 of the UCX II sound card
I will probably move the BOSS and the Eventide pedals to Inputs & Outputs 5-8 of ADA8200 as it's commonly good to have a reverb as the last in the chain. Then I can connect my other pedals that are not in use right now to the UCX II Outputs 3-6 and Inputs 5-8.