I don't know anything about audio-engineering or audio-gear...in fact I am not even sure if this is right forum for this type of question. Finally, I am not even sure if these are valid questions...I'd be happy if you could just refer me to some source where I could educate myself a bit...
I want to understand how an amp or a dac help to achieve sound imaging. I have a couple of scenarios that get more complicated (helps me ramp up my assumptions and questions).
In this scenario, assuming a digital source signal, lets imagine 2 instruments one plays out of the R-Chan. the other out of the L-Chan.
- Would I be correct in assuming that it is the amplifier's responsibility to send the electric signal to the correct speaker?
- does the DAC play a role?
- 1 instrument is on the far left (FL)
- 1 instrument is on the far right (FR)
- 1 instrument in the middle (M)
- How is the middle imaging achieved (is the signal sent in equal parts of L & R channel)?
- again is this amp or dac or both?
A more complicated example
In this scenario, assuming a digital source signal, let's imagine:
1 instrument is on the far left (FL)
1 instrument is on the far right (FR)
1 instrument in the middle (M)
1 instrument between FL & M
1 instrument between FR & M
How is this kind of imaging achieved?