I'm trying to find stuff relating to creating sound effects with synthesizers, but I keep getting stuff like music creation. What do you call sound creation which is specifically creating sounds with tools like vocoders, flangers, noise etc?

For instance, Transformers creates Soundwaves voice using a vocoder. I'm hoping to learn more about how to do stuff like this by google searches.

  • You tagged this question with the ‘sound design’ tag, but have you tried searching based on that? Commented Dec 7, 2020 at 4:26
  • Sound Design is unneeded on this site, as it is all about sound design :-) Why not google for sound effects? Or sound effect synthesis.
    – Rory Alsop
    Commented Dec 7, 2020 at 9:24

1 Answer 1


It's video game and film sound design you're looking for :)

I suggest checking DesigningSound.org and www.asoundeffect.com articles/blog posts.

Soundworkscollection.com is cool as well, they have videos from hollywood, less in depth compared to the articles from the other 2 sites but fun nonetheless.

  • thnx, will look into it. =)
    – Millard
    Commented Dec 7, 2020 at 16:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.