I have a Yamaha MX synthesizer and would like to record in stereo using the Scarlett 4i4 audio interface connected by two TS cables I use for my guitar. Should I use the TS cables or should I buy two TRS cables for balanced stereo?

I am also unable to determine whether or not TS is safe for both my synthesizer and my audio interface. The Scarlett has a LINE/INST switch to change between "line level" and "instrument" (like guitar). I assume I should switch to INST but is this what I should do?


Use two TS cables. You need only balanced signals if the cables are really long and the signal is weak (low voltage). And of course the keyboard needs to output a balanced signal, what I doubt, because nearly all output an unbalanced signal. That's why you should use the TS cables.

The keyboard provides a line-level signal, so set your interface inputs to "line".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.