I have a guitar amplifier and I am wondering if I could connect any of its outputs to a PC microphone input on the motherboard through a 6.3 mm. to 3.5 mm. adapter. Or it will not work and theoretically burn down my motherboard? Amp front Amp back

2 Answers 2


To be honest, this is asking for trouble. I strongly recommend you purchase and use a DI box to isolate the amplifier from the computer. You are likely to experience hum and the DI will help to isolate. As @hobbes mentioned, under no circumstances connect the speaker outputs to the computer unless you need to buy a new computer.

The only connection that will have a chance of working will be the loop send, but it is not clear what level this is intended to work at, so I would definitely recommend using a DI box.


Loop Send should work. Try at first with the gain closed on the amp, and the microphone level on the PC set to a low level. Check the signal level, increase level until you get a good signal (peaks of -10 dB) without clipping.

Do not connect the PC to one of the Speakers outputs.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.