Was wondering what kind of mics are used the get the sound of the hits, skates, sticks etc. for the live broadcasts of pro hockey games. Like a couple dynamic or condenser mics setup around the rink?


At the AAC during Stars games they use a series of MKH 60s (including one mounted in the center scoreboard) and an array of crown PZM mics located on the glass every couple of panels.

  • Senators use the same basic setup at ScotiaBank Place... – Sonsey Nov 18 '10 at 17:20

Find this interesting text


  • that's.. kind of creepy. – VCProd Nov 18 '10 at 13:27

NHL standard is 10 Crown PLL160 mics around the rink. blue lines on both sides, red lines on both sides, and behind each goal. Some A1's spec two mics mounted a pane or two apart behind the goal for a bit of a stereo image. Add to that an x-y pair of short shotguns for crowd mounted up high in the arena and that's how most NHL broadcasts are mic'd


Usually shotgun microphone (super cardioid).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.