[Note: Heavily edited for clarification]

My Zoom H1N can record stereo input from a 3.5mm input. I have two lav mics with 3.5mm ends. I want one mic to record into the left channel and the other to record into the right channel on my zoom. What kind of adapter/splitter do I need in order to do this?

There is a post here with an adapter I think I need - but I don't know what it's called. It combines two mono 3.5mm inputs into one singular 3.5mm jack.

Thanks for the help!

  • The linked question is 2 mono TR jack sockets to a stereo TRS plug. Is that not what you want? You can't send 2 TRS to 1 TRS without combining. In case you're struggling on terminology T=tip R=ring & S=sleeve, so plugs can go from TS right up to TRRRS, depending on how many channels they can carry. – Tetsujin May 13 at 16:52
  • Thank you for that clarification - I thought TRS was the same thing as any 3.5mm jack and it's not. I need two 3.5mm jacks to go into one single 3.5mm jack, but I need each Mono jack to be recorded separately into the Zoom H1n. Hope that make sense. – Mike Chase May 13 at 18:16

It appears from a google search that this style of cable, one which splits the tip and ring to separate ends, is called a ”BREAKOUT” cable

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.