My uncle gave me a pair of Technics SB-CS65 but I can't understand the speaker input rating to get an amp. It says:


New contributor
Grizzlly is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • Hi. As this question is likely to get voted closed fairly soon as it is off-topic, just going to make a suggestion. The best way to elicit a response on this forum is to ask a question. Literally. Don't assume that forum members will derive a question from your statements. Ask what you want to ask so other forum members can answer you. – Mark Jan 11 at 13:39

It means that the speakers will tolerate 120W of average music power, and 60W RMS according to DIN (which requires loading the speaker at fixed frequencies with the given power for 10 minutes at a time or so). Basically DIN relates to the power a speaker can dissipate continuously as heat (minus the power actually converted to sound energy, but apart from special horn speakers that tends to be a comparatively minor part of the whole). "DIN" just means "RMS according to well-defined criteria", and the use of interpunction is a bit confusing, with "," acting for joining and ";" acting for separating clauses.

  • So I should get a 60W RMS amp or is it better with 120W RMS as it is average music power as you described? – Grizzlly Jan 10 at 21:53

Your Answer

Grizzlly is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.