We are a bunch of past middle-age friends who pretend to be a band. We started doing small open-air gigs where we use a single 80W (RMS) PA system as our output into the small crowd. To minimize audio feedback issues, we use cardoid and super-cardoid mics and also place the PA speaker about 10 meters ahead of the stage. This has led to a situation where we've started feeling the need of stage monitors, to hear each-other -- especially as use an acoustic drum-set which without the monitors, drowns out the mic'd acoustic guitar (for the musician).

We were thinking of using my spare 15W guitar amp-speaker combo as the little stage monitor. However, our 8-channel analog mixer supports only 1 output (6.3mm unbalanced), which is used to connect to the PA system. Wondering then, how can I also connect to my stage monitor in this setup ?

1 Answer 1


Your only real solution, which is also cheap, is just to upgrade your mixer. It is not expensive to get a powered mixer with monitor outputs, and a couple of cheap wedge cabs.

You really don't want to use a guitar amp as a monitor - it has the wrong characteristics. It is more likely to give feedback, it distorts etc...

  • 1
    +1...though I would suggest the "mic'd acoustic guitar" be equipped with a pickup/transducer...getting an adequate monitor level with a mic on an acoustic guit can be real tricky without a proper 31-band eq and the time and expertise required to set it up.
    – user23353
    Commented Dec 26, 2018 at 1:36
  • Thanks @Rory. Will try to check if a mixer upgrade is something we can afford at this time. OTOH, I came across something (that seems to cost much lesser), called multi-channel headphone amplifier (from the likes of Behringer or Ashton), that could be inserted between my current mixer output and the PA input, to split-out a line for the guitar amp. My local music stores do not stock any of the cheap wedge cabs. They have a JBL one which is about 5x my budget.
    – bdutta74
    Commented Dec 26, 2018 at 6:29
  • @TylerStone, I see your point. I do have a "removable" transducer, but realized that I also need a guitar sound-hole cover for my acoustic guitar, but the two don't go along well together, so looks like at some point I'd have to upgrade guitar to in-built electronics as well. We've faced the issue with mic'ing the guitar in live setup, and feedback issues are terrible. Hear that there are phase-cancelling preamp units, with notch-filter to fix such issues.
    – bdutta74
    Commented Dec 26, 2018 at 6:36
  • 1
    @icarus74 - keep an eye on local second hand shops. My first couple of bands relied on them for cheap cabs, monitors, amps, even mixers!
    – Rory Alsop
    Commented Dec 26, 2018 at 9:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.