In making sound files, I want to label different variations of the same sound that have different levels of stereo enhancements, one for being when the effect sounds more mono-channel and the other for when the effect sounds very diffused on either side, and one for in between these two.

Is there a convention of terms to describe different levels of stereo enhancement? Like close, mid, far; or spread, centered, mono; or anything like that?

  • In your own vocabulary i would add the phase term too. Very widespread mixes have content in the antiphase areas, so extreme spread should be close to 100% anti-phase, maybe some percentages? 80 stereo - 20 anti phase naming could help.. – frcake Apr 22 '19 at 11:47

There are no standard conventions for this. You are free to use whatever labels you like. I would, however suggest that we continue to use the term "monophonic" for a stereo signal where the difference component is zero.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.