I have no experience with audio hardware so I'm asking here.

I'm looking for a device that allows me to connect one output device and two input devices with 3,5mm audio jacks. The goal is to connect a PC and a notebook with stereo speakers and selectively use one of the two source devices for the speakers.

After a while of searching, I've come across this "DeLOCK 2-Port Switch Stereo Jack 3.5mm" (German Amazon). It looks rather cheap and I'm afraid it may impact the sound quality.

What device am I looking for and would the mentioned switch suffice or rather distort the sound?

1 Answer 1


That device looks like it would work fine - yes, it's cheap, but there aren't any fancy electronics necessary to do what you need, it's just a handful of wires and a switch to change between them.

The reviews of the product seem OK, which is worth something (even though Fakespot doesn't work on German Amazon).

In a quick search I found a couple other options including a 3.5mm switch made by Sescom, but I doubt there will be any detectable difference in sound quality between them. Over the very long term, audio equipment that isn't gold-plated is more prone to corrosion and therefore reduced sound quality, but none of the switches I saw mentioned gold-plated contacts. So they will probably all be about the same in terms of longevity, and you'll probably still get quite a few years at least of good sound quality.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.