Can any of you help me identify this sound effect?


You help is strongly appreciated.


  • Identify in what way? It's all a bit vague & shows no research. – Tetsujin Jan 23 '18 at 10:37

It sounds like dust and scratches from a playing vinyl record. There are many plugins that can help you with that, for instance iZotope Vinyl which is free.

There is something else to it though: a filter-like movement, which could be a phaser effect or simply an EQ filter.


Impossible to say for sure, but my guess is a contact microphone on some form of, maybe plastic, getting cut up or sheared. Or having something dragged on it. If so, I take it this comes from something already mixed, as the voice is impossible to get that way.

Even more likely though - It might also just be a cellphone or small recorder being dragged on a concrete or asphalt surface. Sounds too full to be just a simple microphone. Where did you find it?


Sounds to me like someone cutting glass with a diamond-tipped hand tool.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.