(I didn't find the song on youtube neither on soundcloud so spotify it is.)

I just want to know which percurssive element is this, so i can find a sample of it or a library.

The sound plays at 0:30 (it's not the kick of course), it's the sound that has some low-mid/high-mid focus and has a lot of stereo image. (The name of the song is "lips" by "The XX" in case the link doesn't work)


  • I'm not on Spotify and the song is restricted on YT. That just makes me more curios about these drums or whatever they are :< – Marc W Oct 29 '17 at 21:33

Tongue drum? Lots of videos on YouTube under that heading. Sounds a bit more wood than metal otherwise a Hang drum might be a possibility. The drone is a bit didgeridooish.

Could also be something like a Boomwhacker. Tons of them on YouTube and lots of sample libraries. E.g. https://www.wavesfactory.com/boomwhackers/ .

Another element in there sounds a bit like a clave, the instrument not the pattern, as well.

  • Could also be a processed marimba, but seems less likely. With electronic samples libraries, listening under "marimba" might be worthwhile. – Zalman Stern Oct 28 '17 at 4:51

Kalimba is my best answer for you.


  • Hi Ray, can you please expand this answer with a link to sound or video. – Rory Alsop Aug 29 '19 at 9:21
  • If only there was a way for you to tell us what a Kalimba is, how it's used, what it does and what it's history is. – Alaska Man Jan 25 at 21:01

It could be some bongo drums which have been slightly altered: corse tuned down a bit + a tiny touch of delay + compression with fast release, to give that something of "xylo" sound.

But indeed this is pure speculation...


Sounds like a Thai traditional wooden xylophone, the small one about a foot long

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.