I'm recording in M/S-stereo for radio documentaries and would like to monitor only the M-signal (where the talking usually takes place) in my headphones. Therefore I wonder if I can use a plug like this one? Or what would happen? Thanks! Lasse

  • 1
    Are you plugging your headphones into a recorder or mixer? Some description of the equipment you're using would be helpful. – Simon Bosley May 5 '17 at 10:03
  • Agree. If you are recording with professional equipment, you will be able to configure the monitoring chain to dematrix and monitor in mono if required. It's simply going to be an equipment choice issue. – Mark May 12 '17 at 13:40
  • I'm using a Marantz PMD661, a professional recorder used by journalist all over the world, but unfortunately there is no options for matrixing. – Lasse May 17 '17 at 8:02

That adapter has a mono TS plug. This kind of plug will short the ring contact to the ground and only leave the left as signal. But for hearing the M signal, you need L+R, namely an adapter shorting the ring contact (right signal) to the tip contact (left signal).

  • If I understood the OP, his recordings are MS with M on L and S on R (not matrixed). Listening only the L channel will provide the M signal. – audionuma May 6 '17 at 6:17
  • Thanks! Do you know any plug of that kind? – Lasse May 17 '17 at 8:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.