I've just started out with setting up recording equipment, so I'm a newbie with this type of configuration. Thanks!

  • Generally, you're going to need some kind of studio monitors. Try looking around on Amazon for that.
    – Linuxios
    Commented Jul 8, 2016 at 4:50

1 Answer 1


The Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD has 2 x 1⁄4 inch TRS output sockets(L/R).

You need monitors for a start. Studio monitors are basically speakers with a refined, flat response i.e. a clean sound.

Studio monitors are usually self-powered, so you wouldn't need an amp. Self-powered monitors are called 'active' monitors as opposed to 'passive' monitors.

There is a huge range of studio monitors from budget to over-the-top expensive on the internet. They will usually have XLR or TRS input sockets, sometimes both.

You will need a lead with a 1/4 inch TRS jack on one end and [whatever input connection your monitors have] on the other end.

There are other questions on this site that may interest you. Check the list to the right->.

  • Just out of curiosity: what would happen if you connected a passive speaker? Would their typical 4-8 Ohm impedance short/overload the output preamp? (I guess obviously it's protected against that, but will it disengage?)
    – Sz.
    Commented Dec 8, 2021 at 20:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.