What is the technical term for this style of speaker?

In my experience they are typically 3-5 feet tall, and 12 to 24 inches wide. Usually has 1 woofer, 1 midrange, and 1 tweeter.

Yamaha Speakers JBL Speakers Other Speaker More Speakers

  • 1
    well floor standing speakers it is... in Speaker world we talk more about inches, tweeters, 2-3 way , passive/active, rather than the actual speaker. I mean dimensions are kind of "less important" . other than that if the speaker is standing on the ground it's a floor standing speaker. – frcake Feb 8 '16 at 6:56
  • Well, when I google 'floor standing speaker' I get these tall thin ones with no low end. – Daniel Feb 8 '16 at 14:42
  • ok google 3 way speaker , or go with 2 way 10 inch speaker, or big hi fi speaker .. it's really a matter of description when you are searching without a brand/ model reference.. – frcake Feb 8 '16 at 16:24
  • So there's no technical term for this style? Post it as an answer and get +25. – Daniel Feb 8 '16 at 17:58
  • nah , not really an answer :D you could even search with the picture in google :D glad i helped – frcake Feb 8 '16 at 19:55

The common names for such kind of models are 3-Way Classic, 3W Classic or simply "3-Ways".

Troels Gravesen, a danish DIY speaker pioneer, has a page all dedicated to that design: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/3WClassic.htm.

On his website you can find other variants of the design (and other interesting designs): http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.