I want to record some of my grandfather stories and looking for an advice how to better organize it.
Last year I were able to get Tascam DR100mkII and do couple of records. It was quite tricky as inbuilt mics are rather noisy and to achieve reasonable volume, gain knob was almost at "max" setting. Also, I were not very happy with it picking all ambient noises one can imagine.
Here is the link to
slightly processed recording:
My main concerns so far:
- Going to a studio is out of question, so the best possible environment would be a living room.
- From past experience - constant lack of microphone gain.
- Environment noise.
- Whole setup should look not very "scary" and massive. E.g bringing large condenser and portable shield/box is undesirable as it makes all this idea look too official and formal.
As for today I see two main options:
- Decent handheld recorder (PCM-D100?). +1 to inconspicuous look.
- Laptop + USB interface + dynamic mic. I like Rode Procaster sound, not sure about interface though. Should provide way better sound/control, but not very convenient.
I'd be glad to hear suggestions about techniques/approach/equipment/etc. Thanks :)