How to create a simple sound effect which makes the sound go from the left ear to the right and so on, in a "perpetual" loop (preferably with Audacity on Mac OS X)?
You can make a left-right sci-fi sounds using the Phaser and Wahwah effects. Both come included in the OS X distribution.
- Create a sound, if you're not using own material: Generate/Tone.
- Make a copy of this mono track: Edit/Duplicate.
- Make it stereo: In the track menu (right of the X/delete button) use "Make Stereo Track".
- Use either Effect/Phaser or Effect/Wahwah or both, depending on what reult you are looking for.
This answer is available as a video tutorial.
- If the track is stereo (two curves in one track): click on the name of the track and select "Split Stereo Track". If the track is a mono track (one curve), select the track and make a duplicate of the track (Edit menu).
- Set the L | R track balance to 100% Left for the upper and 100% Right for the lower.
- Select the first half the upper track and apply a "Fade In" (Effect menu)
- Select the last half the upper track and apply a "Fade Out" (Effect menu)
- Select the first half the lower track and apply a "Fade Out" (Effect menu)
- Select the last half the lower track and apply a "Fade In" (Effect menu)