According to this wikipedia page (2nd alinea), XLR have a durable construction and so are used in combination with a microphone. But what makes a XLR connection so durable? (And why aren't TRS connections not as durable?)
XLR connector pros compared to jacks/TRS connectors:
- It is not as easily pulled out (it locks when connected).
- It is thicker; thus more rugged
- The physical interface is larger (pins into tubes), thus better electrical connection.
- The physical construction makes it much harder to cause disconnection failures due to pulling and pushing.
- The signal ground is normally not shared with the connectors metal casing (and physically spaced), which preserves floating grounds in equipment where casing is not shared with signal ground.