I have a synthesizer and I have a stereo sound that needs to have reduced stereo spread. I only can use an onboard synthesizer effect for that, and I was wondering if there is an effect known by mixing/mastering to use for this?

  • Could you please list the model of your synth? Aug 24, 2015 at 10:31

2 Answers 2


Yes, there are plenty of ways to do this when mixing. Normally each of the left and right signals have their own channel in a mixer and can both be panned center or wide left/right or anywhere in between. There are also stereo imaging plugins that can narrow or widen the spread of a stereo signal and change the "center" of the signal. As Stelios mentions, it is possible to run a stereo signal through a mid-side processor and change the stereo spread that way.

It is possible for certain kinds of compression to change the apparent stereo width also, with lat/vert mode on a record (vinyl) mastering compressor being a famous example.

  • Thank you, this is useful info, I'm going to check if my synthesizer has a compression effect with stereo parameters for spreading. Aug 24, 2015 at 15:02

MS encoding and reducing the S level would achieve something along the lines of what you want...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.