What kind of filter is a French Lowpass Filter?

In one example I know of, the Serum soft synth, there is a lowpass filter called the "French LP" under the "Misc" set of filters.

I suspect it may exist under a different name, possibly. At first I thought it might be a Butterworth filter, but it would be a misnomer, because Butterworth was a British inventor.

I don't know of many popular French synthesizers, but there are undoubtedly French software-based filter designers. Does anyone know what this filter might be modeled on?

More importantly, what differentiates it from a normal low pass filter?

  • 1
    Sounds like the kind of question to ask on the xferrecords.com/forum page.
    – Bit Depth
    Feb 17, 2015 at 22:16
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's better answered by the manufacturer. Feb 18, 2015 at 10:33

1 Answer 1


All I know is it seems to be a reference to french house, the "french touch," which is a filtered-disco sound. Expect a prominent, musical filter, but I am not an expert on filter design so I can't separate out the marketing angle from the reality of what you will get. Examples of the kind of music being referenced:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.