My mixer has paired aux send and return jacks. For example aux 1/2 send and return are SPDIF, and the 3/4, 5/6 aux send and return jacks are paired. There are not separate aux send and return jacks. How do I use these to connect effects units.

What type of cable would I use? Is a Y cable the same as an insert cable?

Can someone explain how to use these paired aux send and return jacks, and the proper cables needed to hook a a mono loop and a stereo loop. Can someone explain it as if I was a beginner and knew nothing about mixers.

  • Hi! Maybe if you told us what mixer model you have, it would be a bit easier to help you ;) Because on some stereo mixers, the aux is mono, and on some, it can be stereo. Insert is mono always since you need a TRS (3-wire) cable for that: IN, OUT and GND.
    – yo'
    Commented Sep 7, 2014 at 17:36
  • Y-cables are used for insert jacks. Checkout out this answer I wrote for a previous question.
    – JoshP
    Commented Sep 8, 2014 at 12:38

2 Answers 2


The send is (probably) the Tip and return (probably) the Ring on on TRS splitter cable, something like this: http://www.swamp.net.au/swamp-insert-cable-y-cable-trs-to-2x-ts-1m.html


No, a Y cable is not the same as an insert cable. An L/R split cable however may be depending on the pinout used for the insert. A y splitter cable generally sends a tip and sleeve signal to the tip and sleeve of two different jacks. An insert cable will have a tip/ring/sleeve connector that goes in to the board and then will have two tip/sleeve jacks that are wired up according to which parts are ground and which parts are the send and return on the insert.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.