I would like to know if there is a difference in the quality of audio when choosing between 8-bit WAV formats in Audacity Export?
My Current method:
- Change "Project Rate (Hz)" in the bottom left corner to "8000"
- Select "Tracks --> Stereo Track to Mono"
- Select "File --> Export..."
- Select "Other uncompressed files" then click "Options..."
- Select Header as "WAV (Microsoft)"
Now I have the choice of various different "Encoding" schemes.
Since it's uncompressed audio I'm assuming there won't be a difference in quality between the different options.
Just to be sure, since my target device for my client accepts all types (apparently), is there one I should choose in particular for the best quality?
So far I tried A-Law and U-Law and they said that's fine but audio might suffer from compression. I'm not sure if that's correct as it's uncompressed, and A-Law and U-Law are encoding schemes as far as I'm aware.
Possibly "Unsigned 8 bit PCM" is what I should select?
Any thoughts would be most welcome!