I'm exchanging email about specs with a video editor who was going to send me materials. He asked me if I needed a "violator" in the video to do my audio work?

What is a violator? Is it a video term for pop syncs?

PS> Tried to Google but different unrelated things come up.

  • Might it be possible that it is a typo?
    – Evan
    Commented Aug 1, 2014 at 5:31
  • Violator is not a term I know. Perhaps he meant validator? Commented Aug 1, 2014 at 7:16

1 Answer 1


Asked an editor friend of mine and said it's probably sync tones (not just pops) which some production outfits use instead of a pop when a video fades from black (aka first frame is a black frame). The end of a tone is the first frame.

They do this because some amateur audio guys still don't know how 2 pops work and end up starting the audio immediately after the pop. (Because they were instructed that video starts from black.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.