I'm a complete music newbie.
I'd like to create some music for small, totally aficionado videogames.
My sound requirements are:
- Small file size (less than an mp3 or ogg)
- Playable via libmodplug (list of supported file formats on that link)
- I don't mind "chiptuneish" sound, but I need something with better quality than midi. At least something that sounds the same from computer to computer.
So I've concluded that I need a tracker program. With that in mind, I can center my search a bit more:
- I'm looking for free or very cheap alternatives. Definitively not going to buy anything with a pricetag of more than two figures.
- I'd be great if it worked on Linux, but that isn't a requirement.
- I'd like something whose sourcecode has been touched at least once in the last 2 years.
- I need something that a music-newbie can use!
So far I've found SoundTracker, ChibiTracker & MilkyTracker (from this wikipedia list. Sunvox also appeared on that list, but it only exports to midi and wav). The only one that doesn't look abandoned is MilkyTracker. I've tried it, but it's interface is non-understandable to me. So many buttons!
Is there any other software there that I should know about?