I travelled by bike through India, and made audio recording. They range hugely in quality of content and sound. Unfortunately they were only recorded on an olympus digital voice recorder. However, many of them are only voice and the sound is fine, if a little compressed. I need to be able to listen through these tracks and edit the name, arrange into folders, and make notes on the decent ones, in order that I can create a compilation that I can release and the good stuff can be made public.

I'm on a mac.

2 Answers 2


You can also try out sample organisation software. Below I have listed several free sample organisers, it's directly taken from this page on an audio forum.

- Aural Probe
- JamSoft SampleSort
- SoundManager

- Sonicwire Mutant

You can find more similar programs in the linked forum page.

  • Sonicwire Mutant looks great but doesn't support FLAC or WMA. My files are in WMA.
    – Andrew Welch
    Sep 10, 2013 at 10:19
  • Too bad. Add that sort of info to your question such that people are able to give you an answer that suits your problem. Sep 10, 2013 at 10:25
  • I found switch audio converter and clementine to be a good combination.
    – Andrew Welch
    Sep 10, 2013 at 11:07
  • Great that you found a solution. Can you please post it as an answer and accept it? This will help future users with a similar problem. Sep 10, 2013 at 16:31

Honestly, using iTunes or Windows Media Player and updating ID3 tags as you go is probably the easiest (assuming you are using Mp3 as your format). Then you can simply use one of the many tools that can separate files out based on their ID3 info.

  • 2
    Media Monkey is another option for Windows that is a bit more friendly with formats other that MP3. Mar 20, 2013 at 20:03
  • I really think I need more control than iTunes will offer.
    – Andrew Welch
    Mar 21, 2013 at 11:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.