I'm a part of a development team working on an audio processing application. We have the silliest problem that's already caused us some trouble coding. We work with stereo audio signals, and when someone says sample (as in 44100 samples per second), it can either mean a mono sample or a stereo pair of samples. People tend to use there interchangeably, and that drives everyone nuts. Is there a standard name for a stereo pair of samples?

  • 1
    I call them Obscure Robots, in honor of myself. – ObscureRobot Jan 10 '12 at 17:32

I believe "frame" is the term you're looking for - the set of samples from every channel for a given point in time.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Ahhhhh! Yes, indeed you're right! = ) – Phonon Jan 10 '12 at 22:01
  • yes, I think this is right, although it can get confusing since MP3 has "frames" that are a single block of compressed samples. – Mark Heath Jan 11 '12 at 10:09
  • In addition, frames on an audio CD are 1/75th of a second. – Brad Jan 14 '12 at 6:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy