I'm a part of a development team working on an audio processing application. We have the silliest problem that's already caused us some trouble coding. We work with stereo audio signals, and when someone says sample (as in 44100 samples per second), it can either mean a mono sample or a stereo pair of samples. People tend to use there interchangeably, and that drives everyone nuts. Is there a standard name for a stereo pair of samples?

  • 1
    I call them Obscure Robots, in honor of myself. Jan 10, 2012 at 17:32

1 Answer 1


I believe "frame" is the term you're looking for - the set of samples from every channel for a given point in time.

  • Ahhhhh! Yes, indeed you're right! = )
    – Phonon
    Jan 10, 2012 at 22:01
  • yes, I think this is right, although it can get confusing since MP3 has "frames" that are a single block of compressed samples.
    – Mark Heath
    Jan 11, 2012 at 10:09
  • In addition, frames on an audio CD are 1/75th of a second.
    – Brad
    Jan 14, 2012 at 6:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.