I have a IK Multimedia iRig Mic that I want to plug into a standard TS 1/8 inch mono microphone connector (such as a computer).

The iRig mic has a iPhone 1/8 in connector (4 way), which transfers in and out of the iPhone.

How can I connect the iRig to a mono input? I have tried just plug-in it directly, with no success.

  • Keep in mind that the Apple audio input ports are line-level, and PCs generally use SoundBlaster-style plug-in power TRS ports. So you need to find out what level the iRig outputs and then figure out how to match it with your mac or PC. – ObscureRobot Sep 11 '12 at 0:45
  • I also tried connecting it on a mixer microphone input (and adjusting the levels) and line input, without success. – decasteljau Sep 11 '12 at 1:43
  • you might try using some alligator clips to try connecting the tip and various rings to the tip and ring on a 3.5mm or 1/4" cable. If you can't find a schematic, you might be able to figure out the signals that way. – ObscureRobot Sep 11 '12 at 3:08

I picked up a Smartphone Headset To PC Adapter and it works with an iRig. Here's one on amazon:


|improve this answer|||||

I found the apple connector has the microphone signal on the sleeve ring and second ring. That explain why it does not work out of the box.

I can't find any adapter on the market for that. However it seems relatively easy to: - cut the wire before the existing connector - install a TS 1/8 mono male connector on the microphone end - install a TS 1/8 mono female connector on the existing connector end

that way, I will still be able to use the iRig mic on a iPhone by using the existing connector, and also plug the microphone on any 1/8 mono input by using the TS 1/8 mono male connector I installed.


[MIC]----------cut-here------[iRig TRRS 1/8  Connector]
[MIC]---------[TS 1/8 Male]    <---->     [TS 1/8 Female]----[iRig TRRS 1/8 Connector]
|improve this answer|||||

The reason it isn't working with those devices is that it is a 4 pole connector and will only work wil a device that supports a 4 pole connector. Devices that use a 4 pole connector are usually mobile devices like iPhones, iPads, iPod touchs, the majority of Android devices and some laptops like the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. You can get more details about compatibility on iRigs website. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig

|improve this answer|||||
  • Not true. A tip-ring-ring-sleeve male connector will work with a TRS (or TS for that matter) female jack. You just miss out on the signal that doesn't make contact with the jack. Also, Apple wires their cables up differently, as @decasteljau mentions in his answer. – JoshP Oct 29 '12 at 18:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy