I want to shoot the following scene in amateur video: man jumps into the waterpool, swims under the water a couple of meters, and then floats back. The scene should be shot on head-mounted camera (which is inside a waterproof case).

The problem is I am not satisfied by the camera microphone sound. I would like to attach to man some other microphone (connected to audio recorder which is inside waterproof case in person's pocket). What microphone can I use for this case? Should it be some special waterproof mic?

1 Answer 1


You have a few options:

1) You could waterproof an existing mic. Many do this by using a non-lubricated condom.

2) You could buy a hydraphone, but that might be more expensive than you'd like for an amateur project.

Both of these options (as well as building your own hydraphone) are described in more detail on this page at phonography.org

3) You may purchase or find royalty-free sounds for a foley track.

  • 1
    +1 for the condom. I've done that with an RE-10 on MANY occasions.
    – dwwilson66
    Commented Apr 24, 2012 at 10:24
  • +1 for the condom suggestion, which is good, time-tested advice. I think ultimately designing the sound will read as more 'real' then what you will record with any mic.
    – JPollock
    Commented Jun 28, 2012 at 1:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.