I am looking for inspiration from movies where the sound (voice, sound effects, music) was used in a way to create stronger/more memorable character, to shape the character, where sound creates a distinctive quality/characteristics, describes him, reveal weakness or mental state...
A few examples I can think of:
dialogue and voice:
- different voice deformations for Batman or Darth Vader, or even whole new language of R2D2
- characters that are present only through voice - sniper in "Phone Booth", mother in "Psycho", or character of Dr Mabuse
- silent character - Silent Bob
- speech defect in "Kings speech"
- "Black swan" with sounds of wings edited in right places
- footsteps in "No country for old men"
- leitmotifs in "Jaws" when the shark is coming, again very distinctive music in "Star Wars" for Darth Wader...
- also found this interesting article
hope this is not too broad