I have a noticed in a few pop songs you occasionally get a series of notes that sounds like a set of short notes rising in succession - usually done with strings. One example is in Abba's Dancing Queen, right after the lyric 'and when you get the chance..' you get this sequence I am thinking of. Another example is the very beginning of 'One in a Million' by the Pet Shop Boys.

Is there a musicological term for this?

2 Answers 2


Glissando. Although I can't help feeling this question is a bit off topic.

  • 1
    great..thanks! its more musicology i agree but I am using it for an effect rather than as part of the main melody..if that makes sense
    – Rowan
    Dec 21, 2013 at 10:19

It's know as Mannheim rocket.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.