More than half of my job is fixing hack audio (we do distribution too). Even then, I only have time to fix the most glaring issues. I've got one example of a Master tape we received three years ago (I think that's how long ago) where the video editor did all the audio...in Adobe Premiere. It was an utter mess...a 20 episode train wreck, which I had to rebuild in a very short time because of a sale of the program.
I swear, no one on this site would believe it. I'll try to get it up on my website this weekend, and let you guys know when I do. It'll be good for a laugh at least. ;)
I've gotten an example from this series up. If you're interested, you can read a little more about the whole ordeal and check out clips on my site www.dynamicinterference.com . I tried posting the the mangled clip here, but it isn't embedding properly.