Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Hi everyone, im looking at doing some recording of smashing up fruit/vegetables and i want to make sure i dont mess up my gear by getting any juice/water etc all over my Softie. Is there a decent way i can put something over it that will give a little protection that wont get in the way of my recordings?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I'd recommend a pop screen/shield as used for vocal recording, or a wire clothes hanger with pantyhose/nylon hosiery stretched over it. Not waterproof, but the tension and small gaps will probably catch most of the watery goop. Using anything less porous would probably color the sound. If you need something larger, stretch similar material over a DIY frame of PVC piping, held in place by appropriate grip equipment.

You're using a softie, but a rigid zepp or blimp will largely do the same thing as described above, and you can wash or rinse them off. A good reason to own a (relatively cheap) Røde blimp as a "stunt zeppelin!"

share|improve this answer
Thanks! Iv got an old pretty large pop shield i could use. Never thought about one of those! Should stop most the direct juice/debris from getting on my gear :) – Sam Pemberton Jun 17 '11 at 7:54

I use a old window screen with a towel laid over it on top of a 12 foot pole. keeps the rain from hitting. The towel will get too wet but then I swap it out for a dry one. Stay away from the Rycote duck, I have it and it is worthless

share|improve this answer
Good to know since I was thinking about buying that Rycote duck. I will try your towel trick the next few days when it's raining again. – Michael Manzke Jun 16 '11 at 21:21

If you don't want to mess up your softie/pop screen something like this might work : alt text

Don't know how it's called in english, but it's one of those things you put on top of your pan.

But as NoiseJockey alreadys said: you can wash everything off.

share|improve this answer
That is called a splatter guard here in the US, and is a great repurposing of existing tech! – TheFaderJockey Jun 19 '11 at 11:56

This is a full on rain cover: Remote Audio REM-RMAN Rainman Boom Mic Rain Cover

Could work for your needs, but might be a little over kill. I always travel with it for shoots, but I haven't actually needed to use it, so I'm not sure how well it works.

share|improve this answer
I also recommend the RA Rainman for light rain, but won't really protect from front-facing splatters that well. One could put it on backwards, but it will definitely color the sound. – NoiseJockey Jun 17 '11 at 15:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.