Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to do some 'piston' style, air release foley moves next week. They have to be clean (ie no erroneous rattles from the props!) so was just wandering if any of you guys had any good ideas! The best I've come up with so far is a can of compressed air and a metal pipe (I'd quite like to get some metal to it you see!), which is kind of ok but not quite right. I'd really like some options to work with so could do with some brain on this one! Thanks in advance....

share|improve this question

I would try a variety of bicycle pumps. I used to have an old metal one that would make an awesome suction sound every time I used it. A balloon pump, such as the one below, can work well too. They usually have larger nozzles so offer a different type of air flow sound to a bicycle pump.

Try to record at 192KHz 24 Bit, allowing better results when playing with pitch.

alt text

share|improve this answer
Thanks Colin, I have a balloon pump in the studio - was thinking of cracking that out! also liking @noisejockey suggestion - really good idea with the spray pumps. I'm worried that bike pumps may add to much rattle, so thats a good alternative. Syringes are interesting as well - thanks iain. – Noiseboy May 27 '11 at 16:56

Plastic syringes are great, especially veterinary ones as they come in a wide range of sizes. You can place different objects and fluids inside them to change the tone.

share|improve this answer

Pressure cooker !

share|improve this answer
Definitely a great suggestion! Some rice cookers also have purge valves, as do espresso machines, all of which may produce similar hisses. – NoiseJockey May 27 '11 at 16:30
A cappuchino machine steam arm could work lovely! great idea. – Noiseboy May 27 '11 at 16:57

To build on Iain's suggestion, also look into manual pump sprayers, available at most hardware/home improvement stores, the kind used to spray chemicals on plants. Their plungers are thick and sound pretty neat. Likewise, manual bilge pumps (of the kind sold to kayakers) are small, inexpensive, and also have a cool sound; Bilgemaster brand is probably the most interesting sounding.

share|improve this answer
To add to this you can also use small household and bathroom sprayers. You can usually find them at dollar stores or salon supply stores for pretty cheap. – Syndicate Synthetique May 28 '11 at 7:46
@noisejockey, I just love that you actually know the sound difference between brands. – g.a.harry May 31 '11 at 23:33

Ballons i imagine would be pretty good for this, as you could vary the size of them, how fast you let air out etc, and process them as much as you like after!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.