Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My children have ripped my pop filter, and I was wondering if I could repair it myself on the cheap. It looks like I would just need to stretch a new piece of material over the plastic hoop and glue it on.

My questions are

  1. Is the material used for a pop filter a special type, and if so, what is it called?
  2. Would the material from a (new!) pair of ladies tights/stockings be as effective?
  3. What would be an appropriate type of glue to use to attach it
share|improve this question

migrated from Feb 21 '14 at 10:53

This question came from our site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation.

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yup. I have heard many people use old cloth hangers and stockings or hose to make pop filters.. It should work just fine IMO..

share|improve this answer
Yes, that's what I used to use - a pair of tights stretched over a wire coathanger. Was wondering though if the material on proper pop filters is somehow slightly better. – Mark Heath Apr 26 '11 at 12:39
Is' the same type of material. It may be a bit thicker or thinner, but it will still stop the transients just fine. – Zeronyne Apr 26 '11 at 14:01
any suggestions on the glue I should use? the frame is plastic – Mark Heath Apr 27 '11 at 14:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.