Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm helping to plan an online blog about current music. The idea is to have DJs create sets of the music being reviewed.

I have heard that there are some avenues where the artists can get their royalties. I've searched for such sites, but I don't seem to be able to find any. Can anyone help, or recommend how to go about publishing DJ sets?

share|improve this question

migrated from Feb 21 '14 at 10:47

This question came from our site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation.

Here is an incredible resource for your situation. Although it's centered on Podcasting, it really overlaps with your situation:

Podcasting Legal Guide

Here is the section on licenses you will need to be legal. This is very verbose, so I am linking instead of transferring it verbatim:

Licenses you will need.

And here is the section dealing with why you'd need each type of license.

Using Music

It's actually pretty straightforward, but if you haven't done it before, it would behoove you to read up on the details. Comment for clarification if you need more info.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.