Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I bought a laptop around a year ago and unfortunately, it doesn't have a Firewire port. I'd like to use my Firepod with it, but I can't since I'm lacking the port. Is there some sort of converter I can get to make it possible for me to record?

share|improve this question

migrated from Feb 21 '14 at 10:45

This question came from our site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation.

Check your laptop to see if it has a PC Card (PCMCIA) slot. If so, you can get a firewire card like this. Then you will be able to use firewire directly on your laptop.

share|improve this answer
Negative on that. I don't have a PC card slot on here. – Naftuli Tzvi Kay Apr 1 '11 at 22:52
I did find one USB to Firewire adapter, but I don't know if it would work with the Firepod. – Friend Of George Apr 3 '11 at 18:14

You may want to check if your laptop has a MINI firewire port, which was popular in mid-high range laptops a few years back. Else, I'm afraid you'll need to pick up a USB audio card.

share|improve this answer
A USB audio card? What does this mean, is it a converter or a different recording interface? – Naftuli Tzvi Kay Apr 1 '11 at 22:53
You can get either a USB sound card (usually a short cable or small box with mic/line in and speaker out), or a USB recording interface (much like the Firepod). Those designated as a recording interface are usually of much higher quality and have models available with more than 2 input channels. – Friend Of George Apr 3 '11 at 18:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.