Sign up ×
Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can anyone tell me how to connect my studio monitor speakers with an XLR or 1/4 inch TRS input to my 1/8 inch stereo output on my computer sound card? I don't see any adapters or cords that convert TRS to regular unbalanced stereo. Is this is possible without a mixer?

share|improve this question

migrated from Feb 13 '14 at 5:13

This question came from our site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation.

2 Answers 2

You can get adapters for this, but the sound will be much better if you get a sound card that has the TRS outputs, or if you use an external breakout box (USB or Firewire, USB on most PCs.)

share|improve this answer

The problem with an adapter is that you lose the features balanced outputs gives you - most importantly is the low noise floor and immunity to interference balanced cables give you.

As Neil says, get a decent sound card with balanced outputs.

share|improve this answer
ahem - thanks @ObscureRobot :-) – Rory Alsop Nov 26 '11 at 18:36
Are sound cards with balanced outputs common these days or would these typically be an after market add on? – apaul34208 Feb 10 at 15:13
They seem to be more and more common as the prosumer market keeps growing – Rory Alsop Feb 10 at 15:30
Still not safe to assume that a random person's laptop would be though? – apaul34208 Feb 10 at 15:34
A good sound card is not an internal one these days. So don't worry about the laptop - as long as you get good ASIO drivers you're sorted. – Rory Alsop Feb 10 at 18:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.