Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was told to "put a microphone inside a guitar, and run it through software reverb".

What is this?

share|improve this question

migrated from Jan 27 '14 at 15:19

This question came from our site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation.

Though I've never heard anyone refer to as "software reverb" before, I'm fairly certain you were being told to record the dry guitar and then add in reverb and ambience using a plugin effect in your computer software you used to record the sound. Reverb plugins for software recording solutions come in all shapes and sizes and can use a few different techniques to give you reverb using an algorithm instead of doing in the old fashioned way and, you know, actually recording a space and waves bouncing off physical things.

If you elaborate on what software you're recording with more specific help on how to use reverb in that piece of software can be given.

share|improve this answer

Put in other words, "record the guitar uisng a mic, and then put a reverb effect on the recording using software."

As opposed to, say, putting a reverb effect on the recording using a hardware effect unit, or using a recording room with a reverb sound that you like.

I'm assuming you're already pretty familiar with reverb. If not, Wikipedia's Reverb page has a pretty good summary at the top.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.