Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a specific type of reverb that gets the retro sound found on these Best Coast and The Drums songs:

Just pumping up any old reverb doesn't seem to do the trick so any tips on how to get this retro sound would be great thanks!

share|improve this question

migrated from Jan 27 '14 at 14:58

This question came from our site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation.

For the guitars retro reverb would be vacuum tube driven springs as found in a 1963 to 1965 Black Face amp such as the Super Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, etc,. Also Fender and others had a standalone tube driven spring reverb that was far superior than the amps mentioned.

Many effect boxes emulate this sound, Zoom does it pretty well. I have a replica Uncle Spot stand alone reverb--actually an improvement over the original Fender that I use and love.

Check it out here:

For the vocals tube driven springs may be too much like Dick Dale, perhaps a good 'Hall' reverb at about 40% to 50%.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.