Sound Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for sound engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In some dance songs, there are sound bites used before the break (drop). Do sound bites fall under fair use, or does a producer need permission to use them legally?

share|improve this question

migrated from Jan 27 '14 at 15:00

This question came from our site for engineers, producers, editors, and enthusiasts spanning the fields of video, and media creation.

Related... – JoshP Mar 30 '13 at 12:31
Depends also on country and local laws. Some artists are flattered, others frown, some artists are limited by the record company they are assigned to even if they don't mind being "sampled". – K3N Apr 1 '13 at 2:03
up vote 5 down vote accepted

You are required to gain clearance, otherwise the owner of that sample could demand payment from you.

From this useful article on

Sampling potentially violates the law regarding two separate copyrights, the copyright of the musical composition (the PA Copyright) and the copyright of the sound recording (SR Copyright). You need to obtain the permission of those copyright holders before using the original song or master. The process of getting that permission is known as clearing the sample.

share|improve this answer
There are exceptions, but the onus is on you to check :-) – Rory Alsop Aug 6 '12 at 8:31

Another option would be to ask those artists where they found those royalty-free samples. Though there are sample collections that are sold on CD or DVD, there are also repositories of sound bites and samples that are in the public domain. One excellent source is the Prelinger Archives. Another is

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.