In a certain line-up of a live recording in a classical concert hall, there is a 50 persons choir situated behind a symphony orchestra with quite a few trombones, timpanies and a percussion section. The choir is as wide as the orchestra itself.
I now want to add support microphones for the choir for two reasons: to improve the balance in the mix, and to improve the intelligibility of their part. I hope to get good results with the following prerequisites:
- I prefer not to spend more than 2 audio channels, and use 2 condensor mics.
- I wish to have least possible crosstalk from the brass section and the percussion.
- I like these mics rather to give me the sound of a choir than the sound of a few singers in particular.
- I want to have the choir balanced well, i.e. not only hearing the middle singers or one voice louder than another.
Now, my own thoughts:
- Using omnis is not an option due to the heavy crosstalk, neither is using very remotely positioned microphones. (Not good for intelligibility, and also hard to deal with crosstalk)
- Using a XY or ORTF is good against the cross talk, but any system that places the two mics close together only gives me the middle few singers.