New to Logic Pro X 10.0.4 here. I think I'm missing something, because I feel like Logic is messing with me when I try to use Smart Controls together with Track Stacks.
The way I can think to explain it is by example.
- Create a new Software Instrument track, and set it to patch "Female Chamber Choir". In Smart Controls for the track, set the choir to sing "Ah".
- Create another new Software Instrument track, and against pick patch "Female Chamber Choir". This time, in Smart Controls, set the choir to sing "Uu".
- Select both tracks, and then them into a summing track stack. The "super-track" that combines my two choir tracks will be called something like "Sum 1" or "Sum 2".
Now these things work as expected:
- If I click on my first track and press keys on my MIDI keyboard, the choir sings "Ah", as expected.
- If I click on my second track and press keys on my MIDI keyboard, the choir sings "Uu", as expected.
But here's what confuses me to death: Now I click the top-level track that's supposed to sum my two choir tracks (called "Sum 1" or "Sum 2" or whatever). My expectation is that I'll hear both "Ahs" and "Uhs" together, and that I can use the sub-volume controls to adjust the ratio between the two. But instead, I only hear "ahs". In fact, even if I mute the "ah" subtrack, such that all the input to the "Sum" track is coming from the "Uu" track, then still all I hear is "ahs".
My theory is that this has something to do with smart controls, because so far other uses of track stacks, when I don't use smart controls, are making sense to me.