Anybody an expert on the Yamaha MU 100? I bought a used one. I have a keyboard midi controller inputting into it, and it outputs directly to a speaker. I use it for live performance.
When I go to the XG mode (press Mode switch, then press Select to highlight XG), I can choose any of hundreds of MIDI voices that sound great.
When I go to performance mode (press Mode, then press Select to highlight PFM), I can choose any of the existing Internal performances.
I can replace the MIDI voice of an existing Internal performance with one of the XG voices. When I do this, the voice is clearly based on the XG voice, but it sounds different from the XG voice. I don't know what's wrong with the voice. There are a multitude of settings that could be affecting the voice: revberb, EQ, Attack Time, etc. I've adjusted both the performance settings and the individual voice settings on that performance, and I've tried to match them to what appears on the XG voice, but it still always sounds wrong.
I want to reproduce exactly the XG voice in my performance. That way I can apply a keyboard split to a couple of XG voices to simulate two different instruments in my left and right hand.
Can anyone tell me how to faithfully reproduce the XG voice in PFM (performance) mode? I know almost nothing about digital music, but this feels like it should be easy to me, like it should be possible to clear whatever settings exist on a performance when replacing the performance's voice with a new XG voice.
I copy the XG voice into the performance this way:
In performance mode, I use the Value + / Value - buttons to choose a performance number. For the sake of simplicity I choose Internal performance 088, which has only one part.
I press both Part buttons at once to adjust the part.
I use the Select + / Select - and Value + / Value - to choose a voice. The banks and numbers match those in XG mode exactly. For example, choosing bank 00, voice 074 chooses a flute.
When I go to play the Performance, it sounds "flutish," but it's clearly not the same flute.
Here's a Google spreadsheet of settings I discovered and tried to adjust.