I'm currently trying to achieve a similar sound from "Tour de France Etape 3". Specially the intro of the song. The same sound can be heard across the whole Tour de France Sountracks album.
From this link I found a list of Kraftwerk's equipment and these were the synths I managed to narrow down from the original list the selection:
- Cubase SX - Professional MIDI/Audio Sequencer
- Halion - Steinberg Virtual Sampler (VST)
- Native Instruments - Virtual instruments (VST)
- Propellerheads Reason - Virtual studio rack
- TC Works Plug-Ins - Virtual Instruments & Effects (VST)
- VST Instruments - Steinberg Virtual Instruments & Effects
- Waldorf PPG - VST version of classic Waldorf PPG
After checking all of the above I realized that Waldorf PPG VST might be what I'm looking for. From this YouTube link it seems that the same sound was achieved.
But after getting the VST's demo I just couldn't get even near that sound.
I'm not really sure how am I supposed to do this but I also trying fiddling with Reason's Thor Synth (The wave table oscillator) but I just couldn't get there.
I also just realized that Ableton's Operator is a wave table synth but I didn't even touch it (my only use for Ableton is vocal processing, I'm not even sure I have instruments installed on my PC)
I've also been recently fooled into thinking that Ableton's Operator is a Wave Table synth. It is a FM Synth. (Special thanks to ObscureRobot for pointing that out)
Anyways, any idea or suggestions would help a lot.